Sunday, December 28, 2008

A little black dress for cheese...

Christmas goods are flying out the door (there are still lots of great finds at 50% off!) and we are working hard to fill in with new finds. Monday and Tuesday I will be trekking around the state to gather up some "new vintage" finds. I am also anxiously awaiting some orders from some new vendors I have recently discovered. In the interim I will be sharing some delicious and decadent hors d'oeuvres that are perfect for your New Year's Eve gathering. Stop back in each day this week for another addition to add to your menu.

First up is this stunning piece of art from Sweet Paul's blog where the photos are drool-worthy.
Photo by Colin Cooke
Presentation is everything is it not? Setting this hunk of gorgeousness on any color other than matte black would be an insult to the brie! It's own little black dress if you will.

Allow a whole brie or camembert to come to room temperature (about 4 hours). Place the cheese on a serving piece and heavily drizzle with artisan honey, garnish with fried sage leaves or fresh thyme, carmelized walnuts, fresh or dried figs. Serve with crackers or toasted flat bread. Excellent with a Chilean red wine. Try Casillero del Diablo's Carmenere 2007. I have found the affordably priced (10.99) Carmenere at Kroger and Giant Eagle. But I must give credit where credit is due, my NON-wine drinking husband picks out my wines, every time,no exception. No he is not a sommelier and has had no formal training or even personal experience in the area. But let me tell you, the man has a knack for finding excellent wines. Lucky me!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Teresa's New Life said...

Thank you for the beautiful pictures of foods. I am a caterer and always look for new and inventive ways to display foods. Your savory cheesecake on the next blog is one of my favorites as well. I have the exact picture cut & taped in my "Decorating Ideas" book- isn't that funny. Great site.