Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas...


Just locked the front door, literally and metaphorically, on the 2010 Christmas season and I must share with you what an amazing season it has been. I speak not of the cash register but of the meaningful moments and significant personal stories shared with me because of this store. Many have brought joyful tears to my eyes, like opening the door the night of my Christmas Gathering and seeing SO many people waiting to come in...an astounding moment for me and one I will not forget.

But there have been so many more that are, well, just humbling. A couple of weeks ago a young woman came in the front door and headed straight to me at the counter. She asked if I was the owner and I said yes. She said "I just want to tell you something...". She proceeded to tell me that a few nights before she brought her boyfriend home from the hospital after his latest chemo treatment. They were stopped at the traffic light out front. Understandably, this year has been especially difficult for this young man and she said he has not had anything positive to say for quite a while. She told me while they sat at the light he turned his head and saw the wintry windows of the store full of the lit-up snow covered trees and he said "Wow, that's really pretty." She just wanted me to know...and she turned and walked out. I stood there with tears streaming down my face and I said a prayer for that man. A man I have never met and will never forget. All of us have something to give, no matter how big or small and sometimes you never know when you're giving to someone who really needs it. Makes me think we should all wake up asking ourselves, what can I do for someone else today?

That is just one of a plethora of personal moments shared with me recently. And yes, while it's important that the cash register hums so I can keep the doors open...moments like these are the true reason and my motivation for creating urban farmhouse 5 years ago. All of you make these moments possible. Thank you.

Wishing you and yours the very best Christmas.

~~Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas. ~Peg Bracken

10 comments:

Karen Larson said...

Hello and Thank you! I got my order today and LOVE it. The little surprise was delightful. I will continue to read your blog and shop your store. Love the storefront picture! The next time I come to Ohio I really need to visit in person. I have been a direct seller with a certain well known basket company in your state and with that comes the opportunity to visit Columbus for the annual "bee". I have traveled to Ohio 5 or 6 times in the last 15 years. It is a lovely state.

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

You do have the best customers ever !
This year while doing shows I saw many urban farmhouse customers that warmed my heart they had the most wonderful things to say about the shop and the sweetest things to say to me so I give many thanks to you Lisa for blessing me with the time I spent at urban they were very special !!!!!
ENJOY YOUR FAMILY !!!!
HUGS
JANET

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

That was a wonderful post! So meaningful and full of what this season is truly about! Merry Christmas! ~ Hugs, Patti

chateau de fleurs said...

Your shop looks amazing not only is it eye appealing but it seems like you are a bright spot for people in many ways. Thanks for sharing, wishing you much heartfelt prosperity in the coming new year! Christie

Heaven's Walk said...

I would'ave been in tears too, Lisa, after hearing about that young man. Who would'ave thought that owning a beautifully creative store like yours could touch someone's life. Merry Christmas to you!

xoxo laurie

paige said...

wow!
i'm certain that sweet story touched your heart & will for years to come
merry christmas

French Hen Farm said...

What a wonderful post! Have a wonderful merry Christmas Lisa!!
Linda

Vicki Bonne Amie said...

What a beautiful story!!! Made my heart smile!!!

Gracefully Vintage said...

I ADORE your font windows-the brick the sign all of it- SO happy for you & store- as I know what you mean, the conversations those we meet who come through the doors, who buy nothing but chat up ideas with us... JUST LOVE IT..
Happy to of discovered your blog,wish i could visit.
Karryann

isatou!8 said...

I live in California and heard about your company so I looked at your site & your stuff is adorable.!! I love lovee the vintage jewelryy and the leather trunk. when I decorate my next place I want a vintage look so I hope some of your pieces will furnish my apartment.! :)